Commercial dealers and distributors of fertilizer or soil amendment products must obtain a Fertilizer/Soil Amendment Dealer License before conducting business in Montana or shipping products into the state. Dealers who sell exclusively unprocessed animal or vegetable manures or specialty fertilizer packaged for non-farm use do not need this license.

Each facility, distributing or handling commercial fertilizers or soil amendments in this state must have a license. Licensing must be obtained before January 1st of each year.

Product Registration

Commercial fertilizer, soil amendment, or specialty fertilizer must be registered by January 1st of each year by the manfucaturer or the supplier on the manufacturer’s behalf. Product labels are required at the time of registration. Any fertilizer or soil amendment that contains a waste or sewage sludge distributed as a single ingredient product or blended with other ingredients must be identified at the time of registration. The registrant of a fertilizer or soil amendment containing waste or a hazardous waste-derived fertilizer or soil amendment, shall state in the application the source of the waste and the level of metals in the end product including, but not limited to, arsenic, cadmium, and lead.


Annual Dealer License Fees:
$75.00 – Application for licensing a new location
$50.00 – Renewal application received before January 1st
$75.00 – Renewal Application received after January 1st

Annual Product Registration Fees:
$45.00/product – Specialty Fertilizer
$30.00/product – Commercial Fertilizer
$20.00/product – Soil Amendments

Additional Info:
Source: MT Department of Agriculture


Useful Information